I have some talent musically. I studied piano for twelve years, and tutored it for a summer after high school. I played the sax in band, first the alto then the bari. I can play an octave on a dozen instruments, and pick out the three-note melody for Mary Had a Little Lamb on almost anything. I sang in choir, and when in condition had an alto range that could serviceably manage a tenor through a soprano.
I also have some talent with the written word. I wrote poetry unceasingly from middle through high school. I got in to honors English in high school on the strength of an impromptu essay. I won a partial but significant scholarship to college based on a collection of my essays and poems. I was chosen for a very small honors colloquium at the college I ended up choosing. I flatter myself that I am skilled enough to write a blog worth reading.
And yet...
One of my best friends is a musical genius, an easy natural with near-perfect pitch. She picks up instruments like others pick up... well, nothing. Socks, perhaps. I sat in first row in my instrument in high school; she sat first chair in hers. The guitar is one of the instruments that has so far eluded me; yesterday I was at her house, and listened to her play a professional sounding accompaniment to several children's songs... that she had "just picked out".
My other best friend is a twice-published novelist, whose lyrical, honest narrative wins critical acclaim internationally. I won a partial scholarship to a liberal arts college with my writing; she won a larger scholarship to a fine arts university with hers. I'm watching her craft a third novel, as she takes a plot which could be sappy or heavy-handed (as indeed all plots could) and uses it to tell truth and beauty in alternating heart-stopping and humorous ways, choosing language and imagery I could never in a hundred years think of.
As I stand with my minor talent in the shadow of these greats, I struggle to avoid the cultural conditioning which says I must be in competition with other women, which says if I cannot be the best, why bother. It is a struggle, to be sure, and sometimes I think I do turn green with envy -- not a flattering color for my ivory-pink complexion, nor an appreciative enough treatment of my goddess-granted and mother-descended gifts. I struggle to avoid the comparisons which are the root of competition, to stand proud with what I do have, when every part of the patriarchy tells me I could never be good enough, even if I were the best. I struggle to deny the messages that say I must either hate or worship those more blessed than I: those with more musical talent, those with more writing talent, and those of the "right", more privileged gender. Rejecting that culturally-dictated hatred -- hatred of the better, or hatred of the self -- may seem like a minor feat, but it is one of the most radical acts I can imagine.
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have struggled with this as I grew up in a family with people who turned out to have tons of artistic skills and excelling in all types of mediums: photography, pottery, glass blowing, painting, drawing, etc.....
And I've struggled with it as I strive to excel professionally. There are people present themselves more professional than me, dress better than me, write better than me and make more than me.
I've been exploring BloggerLand and there are people who write better than me. People who are funnier than me. Who write smarter posts than me (you are one that I truly respect).
I'm always left with question: should I even try?
Yes, right?
Yes, absolutely. If we were to give up because we weren't the best, no one would do anything. I have to believe there is value in doing our best (even just our best at the moment) even if it's not THE best. You have value in what you do, value in itself, regardless of comparisons with others. I really believe, as I wrote in the post, that rejecting the comparisons and competitions really is a radical, profound act that has the power to change the world. So keep writing!
Post a Comment