Thursday, May 28, 2009

Makeup spam? Really?

Most of you probably missed it, but for about half an hour yesterday, Raising My Boychick was the dubiously-proud owner of a couple pieces of comment spam for "semi-permanent make up". I had several thoughts rapidly go through my mind when I saw it:

1) Drat, I was hoping for some real comments. (That's a hint, by the way, for those of you still reading.)

2) Does this mean I've "made it" in a perverse way? Is it a sign RMB has gotten large enough to get noticed? Is it time I get some kind of spam/comment filter?

But mostly I was thinking:

3) Wow, they really don't know their audience.

I know, I know, lots of feminists wear makeup, probably most of you do (and I'm sure you all look lovely), and perhaps triple-shift women (work, kids, home) are most likely to think semi/permanent makeup is a good idea (really though?), but I still can't help but snicker. Permanent make up ads on a feminist blog? That's some kind of either hubris or idiocy, and either way it amuses the heck out of me.

7 comments:

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

real comment here ;) and it is hilarious! The one spam I got actually was relevant to my blog sort of. Permanent make up...yes because make up trends don't change. I wear make up but part of it is the fun of making up, if it were permanent then it wouldn't be fun anymore. But I guess that's the difference between "can't be seen without it" and "I like it, it's fun".

Bethany said...

I get diet spam comments on my blog all. the. time. and it makes me a little crazy. lol

I just wrote an entry on make-up actually. Interesting. lol

Lauren Wayne said...

Hey, those were from me! I wanted to offer you all some good deals on thick eyeliner and rimmed lips.

Ok, not really.

For HoboMama, I get laptop bags and infant carseats. The carseats I understand.

On my author blog, I get comments in Russian. Two or three a day. I put one through Babelfish to confirm that it was spam, and after that I've just deleted. Why would they target a site that's entirely in English?

Arwyn said...

I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one? Misery loves company? ;)

Do you all have comments on moderation, or just post-through? I like the convenience to my readers of having comments not moderated, but then if I don't happen to be online right then, the spam just sits there, being irritating.

Hm, dilemmas, dilemmas.

Rambling Rachel said...

Can we be beautiful without make up?

It's really hard to explain to my son what my eye shadow is, what it does and why without disparaging my natural beauty.

"It's part of my work uniform" might be the best route, because that's what it is.

Rambling Rachel said...

I haven't had spam since 2004, by the way. I don't know whether to admire you or feel sorry for you.

Arwyn said...

Feel sorry for me, definitely! ;)

I like the work-uniform explanation. If you do it because it's expected for your work, I would use his questioning of it as an opportunity to talk about societal expectations of beauty, and the misogyny therein, and plant the seed that although yea, you do it, it shouldn't be necessary at all.

"I do it to look pretty" should, obviously, be right out. :p