So, I forgot to post last month, and I almost didn't again this month (can I just say how bloody -- ahem! -- weird it is to be cycling the same as Renee, from whom I ruthlessly stole the idea for period posting to begin with? it's a little creepy, actually), but although you might have thought, wished even!, that I'd forgotten or given up, I laugh and say nay, it is time for another round of:
I'm menstruating!
Some thoughts this time around:
1) My luteal phase is short. Like, really short. 12-16 days from ovulation to menstruation is considered normal (18 is considered proof of pregnancy!); 10-11 is borderline infertile. This month it was 10. Last month it was 9. Nine. Now, I have really truly no desire to get pregnant again anytime soon, if ever (among other things, I am SO not nursing through pregnancy, and the Boychick is SO not ready to wean), but a 9-10 day luteal phase is just not healthy. It's a symptom of something being not right with me hormonally. I'm not sure what, if anything, I'm going to do with this information yet, but I'll be seeing my primary care doc in a month or so, and I'll talk with her about it then. While this doesn't exactly make me happy to know, it does actually feel good to KNOW that I know, if you know what I mean; super fun condomless baby-making-less sex is not the only reason I chart, and recommend charting to others; it's such a powerful tool for knowing what's going on with our bodies, and, as they say, knowledge is power.
2) I need more pads. I've needed more pads since I started cycling again. OK, I've needed more pads since I got off the pill and started having real periods instead of psuedoperiods, which is what I was having when I made the batch I'm currently using. And every month, I say "That's it, this time I'm really going to make more!" And every month, I don't. This month, though, I'm actually remembering why I didn't do it last month: we seem to have lost the custom pattern I made. Cutting and sewing new pads is enough work; I really, really am not up to reverse engineering the pattern anew, cutting it out and protecting it, and THEN cutting and sewing new pads, all while I am cramping and cranky and bleeding and racing to get it done while the toddler is distracted. So I resign myself to yet another cycle of making sure the wash gets done at least every day and a half, and pretend that this month, I really will make more pads before I really need them again. Really. I swear.
3) I need a "moon pot" (soaking bowl with lid for cloth menstrual pads), but in the meantime, I love that The Man has no problem with me taking over the sink for soaking for several days. His job in the morning is to drain the sink, squeeze the pads out a bit, and set them aside so he can brush his teeth, and he both doesn't complain and, when asked, doesn't see what there might be to complain about. He rocks.
That is all. Between bleeding, ill child, finals week, and the high likelihood that I'll be getting sick next, I anticipate a slow week blogging. See y'all around!
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I use the sink for soaking too. DH never complains and has set them aside, although I don't know if he's ever gone as far as rinsing them out. Kudos for your man. :)
~Tara
Ever heard of the Diva cup? My friend uses one--no pads, no tampons necessary! I can't use one, though, because I have an IUD. Bummer.
I'm totally with you on the not nursing while pregnant! I SO do not want to do that. Good thing I believe in spacing kids more than 1 1/2 to 2 years! (I would go crazy)
OrganicSister: he is great, but the thing that gets me is that type of behavior/attitude shouldn't be unusual. I almost didn't post that because I don't like feeding in to the "men who are decent and treat women (and their periods) with respect deserve OMG!!1! Accolades" thing... But, it IS unusual, and guys like ours DO rock. ;)
Lisa--yup, and am totally in favor of it in theory. I always thought iwould get one, but then realized with my prolapse issues it likely wouldn't be a stellar choice. I do, however, often think of gettinga sponge.
And I still haven't done anything to make more pads yet... Hmm...
As to point #1, I would never presume to tell anyone there isn't something wrong with them :) but it's possible it's just normal hormonal fluctuations from breastfeeding. I thought my cycle was back to normal when my bleeding returned seven months pospartum. I had gotten sick of charting during TTC so refused to start temping again, but everything seemed to be ticking along at regular intervals. And then not. And then back to normal. And then out of whack again, just last cycle. Kathy Dettwyler's site has an interesting note about how variations in frequency of breastfeeding, as occur during work changes or growth spurts, might continue to mess with the menstrual cycle even after presumed return of fertility. That is, you might be fertile one month and then not again the next. Or you might have thought you were fertile, but you weren't.
Of course, you're charting, so maybe you know that you're ovulating and are still having a short luteal phase. I'm just sayin' — you might not want to bother being worried about it just yet, since you're not trying to make more babies at the moment. I'm with you on that one! My problem is generally overly long cycles that scare me into thinking I'm pregnant!
Oh, and Lisa — I use something like a Diva cup. Thumbs up! I still need light pads for any leaking, but it's so much less mess. Well, in its own, cup-full-of-stringy-blood way. Ha ha! I'll stop talking now.
Hobo Mama -- I am temp charting again (finally), and am on the 11th postpartum cycle, so I know I'm ovulating (very clear temp shift, though the cervical fluid is harder to read, and cervical position -- once an absolutely clear indicator of ovulation day -- is laughably uninformative). Actually, when I started charting pre-conception, I had short luteal phases as well, in the range of 10-11 days. I finally conceived the Boychick the cycle before we were going to start Doing Something about it. Obviously, not trying to conceive (far from it!), we're not going to Do Something, but it would be nice to do something, if you know what I mean. Or just file it away for future information...
Poop, my husband asked me to move my pads out of the sink, so now I use a stainless steel bowl on the counter. I can't imagine him being willing to drain, squeeze and refill. I thought I was lucky he didn't demand that I keep them out of sight. The P influences my thought patterns in insidious ways.
By the way, I came here from your signature on the mothering boards a few months ago, and you led me to Twisty, which led me to Shakesville, which led me to TigerBeatdown, so thank you for opening up the "feminist blogosphere" for me.
Chex -- you're welcome! I've only just read one post at TigerBeatDown, but quite liked what I saw. I'm still exploring this world I stumbled on myself, and I'm sure there's lots more to find still. If you're looking for more, I highly recommend Womanist Musings, Hoyden About Town (there's lots of great Down Under feminism going on, actually!), oh, I don't know. Lots! Mothers for Women's Lib has been slow lately, but has some great stuff, and Shut Up, Sit Down is good for links and sometimes thoughtful posts. And not overtly feminist, but I love The Anti-Racist Parent too.
Erm, that went on for a bit. Sorry! And welcome, and thanks for reading. :)
Post a Comment